Monday, January 5, 2009

Post #8 - Looking back, looking forward.

It's been a busy few weeks since my last post as the holidays were just too hectic to get in time to write. After the Christmas Madnesss, the wife and I spent a week in San Jose del Cabo relaxing and getting recharged for the new year. It's been a LONG year for the both of us individually and as a couple, but we hit a HUGE upswing to close out the year, and we are both happy and excited about things to come (like a Baby Burro)!


Workouts:

I'm a workout machine! Not really, but compared to how I have been for the past few years......
I've done a 45 minute cardio workout almost everyday, and I feel GREAT! My energy level is so much higher than it was previously, and it definitely helps my concentration. I've started a rule of no poker unless I've done a workout first. It's great incentive to get my workout done early and keeps me from steaming and spewing (too much).

My goals for 2009 are.......
* Continue 6day/week cardio workouts building up to 1hour at the highest level
* Make time to get to the beach when the surf is good (It's fickle, so get on it when you can!)


Poker:

I used the time in Cabo to do some reading and I was able to finish Elements of Poker and Harrington on HoldEm I. There are plenty of reviews floating around, so I won't say too much other than I highly recommend both. I'm ordering HoH II & III this week and I hope to finish both this month. Reading in general is always +EV, and since I don't have a "crew" to bounce ideas off of, I need to absorb as much info as possible and weed through what works for me and what doesn't.

Mrs. Burro must have been reading my mind, because when I came downstairs Xmas morning, I had a subscription to Deuces Cracked "under the tree". I'm extremely excited about digging into the videos and forums at DC. I know atleast two of the coaches they have are currently living in Austin, so I am hoping to meet them sometime in the future and see about getting some mentoring.

December was a solid month for me at the tables. I was able to play just over 60 hours for a total of 21,671 hands while 4 tabling NL100. I won $1677, plus about $400 in rakeback which equates to approximately 9.5bb/100 hands. I was able to earn "Gold" status at FTP, falling just two days short of Iron Man. This earned me a $75 bonus for each month I earned that status, unfortunately, December was my first and only month of FTP in 2008. I play during Happy Hour as often as possible to maximize my FPPs, and with the 3x Holiday Happy Hours they had running, I earned almost 15,000 FPPs.

Last night, I 6 tabled NL100 for the first time, and it was CHAOS for the opening hour. Not only did it seem much faster than 4 tables, but I was getting hit with deck on almost every table. Before I knew it, I was up 6 BuyIns! Then, this hand happened.........


Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP: $242.65
CO: $120.90
BTN: $100.10
SB: $100
BB: $58.40
Hero (UTG): $201.65

Pre-Flop: A K dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $3.50, MP raises to $12, 4 folds, Hero calls $8.50

Flop: ($25.50) K J 5 (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP bets $17, Hero calls $17

Turn: ($59.50) 7 (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP bets $36, Hero raises to $104, MP raises to $213.65 and is All-In, Hero calls $68.65 and is All-In

River: ($404.80) 3 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)


Results: $404.80 Pot ($3 Rake)
MP showed 7 7 (three of a kind, Sevens) and WON $401.80 (+$200.15 NET)
Hero showed A K (a pair of Kings) and LOST (-$201.65 NET)


I'd love to hear some comments as I've been replaying this hand in my head since yesterday. 4bet preflop? Check raise the flop?

My goals for 2009 are...........
* Play 300,000+ hands 6 tabling NL100 & NL200 (shots at NL400 with table selection)
* Move up to NL400 by the end of the year (requires $16k roll)
* Read 1 poker book per month


That's all for now...........
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: